Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mobile Thing 19

My hobbies tend to lean more toward the areas of handicrafts, so I searched for apps for knitting and bookmaking (book binding, as the first search brought up betting/bookie apps ;-).  In the area of bookmaking, there were mostly apps for how to create either digital books and photo albums to either be shared digitally or printed and bound.  I downloaded Mosaic and bookPress.  Mosaic allows you to choose 20 pictures to be printed and bound in a hardbound linen book for $25.  It is just the images on each page, with no option to add text or captions that I could see.  bookPress has a companion website called bookemon which is for k-12 educators to have a private, collaborative class section and be able to turn student works into printed books for purchase.

For knitting, I installed four apps.  I was rather disappointed with the Lion Brand Yarns app because while it specified searchable patterns (which I regularly download from the Lion Brand website as pdfs and store in iBooks), every search I conducted resulted in nothing.  Craftsy's Knitting app linked to a ton of patterns, some free and most at a cost, but easily allows for patterns to be added to a wish list or library.  Knit is a row and stitch counter that I have yet to figure out how to use.  Within the app, some of the menus and options are in an Asian font, so I can't read it.  Maybe I'll try to combine iTranslate (which I downloaded in Thing 18, but didn't mention in that post) with Knit to figure it out.  I'm currently working on a project that requires a cabled strip 83" long, so keeping track of my rows on that one would be very useful.  Lastly, Gaugefy Free is to help adjust gauges in knitting swatches (which I don't use as much as I should), so another app that could be useful in certain situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment