Saturday, June 14, 2014

Mobile Thing 10

Sharing photos...As I mentioned in the last post, I realized that I am not a daily picture taker.  I take tons of pictures on vacations and prefer to share them with people face-to-face...so I can tell all the stories that go with them.  Yes, "a picture is worth a thousand words", but it's worth even more if I get to tell the five minute story associated with that picture.

I recently heard some of my students talking about Snapchatting with each other before school.  I double checked to see if Snapchat had the age restriction of 13, like many sites, and tucked it in the back of my mind.  The concept of Snapchat just sounds like it could go sketchy so easily, especially with young, immature users.  As if "yolo" mentalities don't enable enough risk-taking behaviors, the idea of an image only "existing" for 10 seconds worries me.  I'm guessing that to interact with friends that you actually know, because of the short time frame, the engagement needs to happen in real time, and so other interactions and sharing are with "friends" in random cyberspace.  I did download the app and set up an account, while sitting across the table from a friend, but at that time both of us didn't try the app.

Instagram is another app I've had installed for years but never got into a habit using.  It falls into that category of "I have other ways of doing the same job" and am personally very selective of which images I share.  Instagram is also one of those accounts that I hesitate to link to other social media accounts, unlike if it was purely a cloud image storage, because I wouldn't want to inadvertently be posting pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment