Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mobile Thing 13

Nothing like the last possible day to finally get around to blogging about the majority of the Mobile Things!  I'm just as bad as the kids at school...but unlike my students I will finish and won't fall back on a long list of lame excuses. ;-)

Presentation apps:
I used Haiku Deck with 5th graders last year for a research project, when it was still in beta form, and really liked the app.  For that particular project, they chose images from a museum site and imported all their images into the app, but I also made some Decks for my own lessons and was very impressed with the visual appeal and quality of the stock images searchable in Haiku Deck's collection.  I really liked that the slides were restricted to the amount of text, maintaining the "bullet point" discussion aspect of a presentation, but that students were able to export their Deck to the website and add presenter's notes to each slide, thus filling out the text that they wanted to share.

Deck Slideshow reminded me of Haiku Deck, but the preset templates and layouts reminded me more of PowerPoint and didn't have the feature of adding presenter's notes.  For those who are more confident in their presentation skills and content that isn't reliant on the visual images in the background, Deck Slideshow would be a great option.

Lensoo Create, Educreations, Show Me and ScreenChomp all seem very similar as interactive whiteboard apps for recording.  I'm sure there are small details that make each app better for various users.  I tend to prefer multiple options, but have been repeatedly told that in a school setting, it's best to simply choose one and teach users to be competent in the concept of the app.  In this case, a comfortable user of one interactive whiteboard app will be able to transfer to a similar app with minor adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment