Thursday, August 5, 2010

R.I.P. Faithful Friend

When preparing for this summer experience, I gave a lot of thought to which purse/bag to bring.  This one won because it was neutral in color, large enough to hold all my usual crap I drag around plus a laptop if needed and had the handy side pockets for a water bottle and/or camera.  It has served it's duty and unfortunately won't make it home for a proper burial.  You might be asking what is wrong...from the picture it looks fine.  After the second week of being crammed under a bus seat, the cording in one of the handles was crimped, which eventually broke and every day separated further and further.  This caused pressure points at the ends of the cording which dug into my shoulders.  This last week, the second handle broke as well, and the cordings in both broke in several more places.  To borrow a phrase from the Kafka Museum, "she died in the myth of a city called Prague". 

Tomorrow is our last full day in Prague and the last official day of the Fulbright-Hays seminar.  The last few days have been full of running around doing any last minute shopping and searching for those museums earlier missed.  As mentioned, I went to the Kafka Museum on Monday and it fulfilled its kafkaesque reputation.  I was actually laughing through the entire thing because of the absurdity of the lighting, sound and phrasing of the signage.  It was great!

On Saturday I'll be boarding a train for Münster, Germany.  My relatives (fourth cousins four times removed) live there and I'll be visiting with them for three days.  On Tuesday, my hostmom from Ingolstadt will be picking me up and taking me home for the final week.  I'm not 100% sure what my access to Internet will be like in the last 10 days, but I'll try to post if possible.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to post you Birkenstock purchase!! Sorry to hear your purse will not make it!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. rip lovely purse.

    I got a bit behind in my reading of your postings.

    Glad the ankle is getting better.

    What luck on the Gone with the Wind Saga (like you could have wanted it any other way!).

    I love the statues! A bit sausage like though!

    Enjoy your relatives, what a treat to be able to end your trip in Germany-your second home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I've enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for letting us in on your fabulous experience.

    Lynn T.

    ReplyDelete