Monday, August 16, 2010

The light at the end of the tunnel

I don't have any pictures from Germany to share by post as of yet...they are all still on my camera.  As I'm working on Linde's computer with the German keyboard, typing is a much slower process and I wanted to get at least one post in for this last week and a half of my summer.

Unlike my fears, Germany has been very relaxing compared to the six weeks of Fulbright.  I spent three days with relatives in northwestern Germany and was able to be leisurely.  Linde picked me up at Agnes's on Tuesday and brought me to Ingolstadt, where I hadn't been back to since my time as a student 13 years ago.  I am pleased to announce that Ingolstadt hasn't changed too dramatically.  The H&M might have moved across the pedestrian way and the large bookstore is gone, but the majority is where and as I remembered it.

I have been able to serve as Linde's reason to visit all those places in a two-hour radius that one never goes to when you live somewhere, so each day has had a relatively full program of museums and castles, but usually starts out with a late morning of sleeping in!  :-)  Yesterday we went to the Kuhstall Cafe, which yes translates to cowstall cafe.  I thought it would be a renovated barn, but no, a loft cafe was built over a working diary barn with windows allowing customers to watch the cows below.  I never would have imagined that there would be a strange fascination to watch cows in all their manuered glory, relieving themselves while waiting for my coffee to come or eating my cake.  It wasn't just a cafe, but an experience...and one I surprisingly enjoyed.

So, in two days I board a series of four planes making my way toward home.  I honestly can't wait to be back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment