Thursday, July 1, 2010

Right up my alley

I'm sure some will find this post title irreverent, and to those I mean no disrespect, but there are so many aspects of Budapest that correspond to my personal interests that when I experience one more it is exciting for me.  Budapest is a city of monuments.  On our city tour the first day, this monument was pointed out to us and Karen B. and I decided to go back on our next morning walk to see it up close.
Hungary was not exempt from the Holocaust, but for a variety of reasons most of the Jews living in Budapest were not deported to concentration camps unlike the Jews of the Hungarian countryside.  Adolf Eichmann was even sent to Budapest in 1944 to organize the Final Solution in Hungary.  But when the Russians were approaching to liberate the city, thousands of people were rounded up (Jews, Catholics, Homosexuals, etc.), brought to the banks of the Danube and simply shot and thrown into the river.  These metal shoes on the river bank commemorate that event.


And one more for my brother...near this monument was an old guy fishing.  When Karen pantomimed that she'd like to take his picture, he grinned, put down his gear and jumped up.  We were afraid he had misunderstood and thought we were asking him to take a picture of us.  But he ran over to a pillar and starting pulling on a rope, at which point we realized that he had caught a fish and had it in a net.  He was very proud of this fish, and very proud to tell us he was in his seventies.  I was very proud to have understood the number seventy in Hungarian by this kind (and toothless) fisherman on the river!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I just finally got a chance to sit down and ready your blog. You've had excitement from the get go. Glad to read the newer excitement is more "touristy"! I loved the information about the shoes-the message is so powerful the way they are placed there. Also, I am very jealous of the visit to the Opera house-what did you see there? I am excited to read more. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Ur princess training has already helped!!!!!!
    The shoes - so sad to think of the lives unfinished. Waiting for the next ADVENTURE!
    Susan B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of the shoes. I just thought it was a neat picture before I read the explanation. Some really neat artwork.

    ReplyDelete